Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and I, @zombiepie, am once again honored to be your host this week! With E3 2019 approximately one month away, the video game releases are starting to come at a trickle rather than a wave. While several of your are undoubtedly excited for the release of Rage 2 next week, it is the only big release we have in a while. Nonetheless, we have PLENTY of awesome community created content to promote! The Community Woodworking Group has its first project, and, in what I can only describe to be the best user-review I have ever seen, MoonlightMoth wrote a Dynasty Warriors 9 review in the form of a rhyming poem! Obviously, please support everyone’s work on the Spotlight, but definitely check out their review at the bottom of the Spotlight! Regardless, let’s jump into the site-related housekeeping!
- IT WAS VINNY’S BIRTHDAY! WISH HIM A HAPPY BIRTHDAY ON TWITTER IF YOU CAN!
- Last week marked the two-year anniversary of Abby’s tenure at Giant Bomb!
- As many of you have discovered, an update recently launched on Giant Bomb! Remember, you can review the design priorities for the site, and share your thoughts about any updates over here!
- Speaking of the site’s update, there’s a a new layout for episodes. Now all of the episodes’s info is available off to the side with its own space. No more hovering over the video. More actions (download, etc) right underneath the media player!
- If you have a Twitter account, CBSi/Giant Bomb software engineer Will Carle is responding to any input regarding the video and site update! If you like the update, or have a feature request, send him a Tweet and he’ll get around to responding to you when he can!
- The new CBSi web developer job is still taking applications.
- Seriously… check out MoonlightMoth’s review at the bottom of the Spotlight!
Giant Bomb Galleria
In response to some tomfoolery on the part of Jan, jea_rum created this humorous t-shirt design.
You may recall from a while ago, Twitter user AlejandroKayArt drew the Beast Crew in cartoon form. This week they figured they should begin drawing the Giant Bomb staff from the other, and superior, coast!
[posted without context]
Tweets Of The Week
— Steve Kim (@Fobwashed) May 6, 2019
i was making a clip from the new giant bomb gtaV video and this echoing cursed laughter from dan at the end is horrifying pic.twitter.com/10ai2Ruv3X
— Mike 🦆🐦 (@Mike_Agresta) May 9, 2019
— Pat Baer (@patbaer) May 10, 2019
The Giant Bomb Woodworking Club has its FIRST COMMUNITY PROJECT!This month, it wants YOU to join the community effort to make a hand-crafted stool! Use the link to get help in making this happen!
Calling all Giant Bomb users that love grand strategy games! There’s an effort on the forums to set up a community multiplayer game for Imperator Rome! Join the fun using the link above!
Best Of Blogs
Moderator Mento wrapped up their time with Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, and you can read all about their final impressions of the game and its various locals. Additionally, Mento also continues their “Indie Game of the Week” series with a blog looking at the oddball Divide by Sheep.
This week MooseyMcMan reviews every game they played since their last blog whether it be Yakuza Kiwami 2 or Apex Legends. Give it a read and discover what they most enjoyed playing the past month or so.
Giant Bomb user Ozzie was inspired by Jeff’s recent MiSTer coverage and decided to make a Giant Bomb themed SDRAM board as a result! Check it out, and don’t forget to congratulate them on a job well done!
Sonic is a series that has long been torn between novelty and nostalgia, and Gamer_152 uses their latest blog to talk about how Sega never acknowledged it as directly as they did in Sonic Generations.
Giant Bomb user ArbitraryWater ended up playing two games with the word “shock” in their titles in the form of Bioshock 2 and System Shock 2! Give their blog a read and learn how audio-log drive game stories have changed over time.
Join The Discussion
So there’s a new trailer for the Final Fantasy VII Remake. Feel free to share your impressions of what was shown, the viability of the game’s release, and how the game’s “troubled” development cycle could impact its production.
It appears the much beloved John Wick film franchise is finally getting a video game adaptation! Based on the announcement trailer, do you think the game has potential or is it doomed to fall into the pit of bad movie video games we are all too familiar with at this point?
What is YOUR reaction to the recently proposed bill to ban loot boxes and pay-to-win micro-transactions? Should the law pass as it stands or is it flawed from the get-go?
E3 2019 is nigh! Speaking of which, what game announcement or reveal are you most excited about or hoping to see during the event? Join our community discussion about the upcoming press conferences and more!
Here’s our discussion thread about voice acting in Borderlands 3, Claptrap, and Randy Pitchford. As many of you know, there’s a lot to unpack here and you can read over all of the known information and share your own conclusions in the thread.
To anyone excited about Rage 2, what do you make of the recent announcement the game won’t have 4k on enhanced consoles? Does the lack of the feature matter to you?
What are your impressions of the community efforts to bring back City of Heroes? How does the public release of the private server code make you feel? Can you imagine a world where you return to the game?
For the past 24 hours, a forum thread on the boards has been raging wild. The thread, titled “Only John Wick #1 was good” has drawn some clear battle lines within the community. So, have at it, but please be nice to each other!
Calling all Giant Bomb users! What the worst case of losing progress or saves in a game for you? Share your nightmare-inducing scenarios of losing hours of progress.
This week, Mento compiles every single fighting game released on the SNES, and annotates its current “Ranking of Fighters” placement with convenient episode numbers to boot!
Giant Bomb user JonathanTrojan tries their hand at applying “science” to the The Legend of Zelda franchise and ranks the games in the franchise they have played from best to worst.
Giant Bomb user phrosnite looks at a handful of games that did not quite make their all-time favorites list, but are still solid games nonetheless.
Useful User Reviews
- @moonlightmoth wrote a negative review of Dynasty Warriors 9, but it is the form of a HILARIOUS rhyming poem! This is by far the best Giant Bomb user review I have read in a long time!
- @riostarwind wasn’t just pleasantly surprised by Blaster Master Zero 2, they think the sequel improves upon the previous game in every possible regard.
- @wemibelle reviews Red Candle Games’ psychological horror adventure game, Devotion, and details why it’s a shame no one can buy it anymore.
- @guip1408 reviews Middle-earth: Shadow of War after picking it up on sale and explains why it is a game defined by its mistakes rather than its successes.
- @count_zero finally got around to playing The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings but took it a step further and played the “Enhanced Edition.” Give their review a read if you are wondering if this version is worth playing.