Fortnite maker Epic Games has begun legal proceedings against the organisers of Norwich’s calamitous Fortnite Live festival.
East Anglia’s first Fortnite fest made international headlines over the weekend for being a total balls-up.
Ticket prices were too high, the attractions were terrible, and families who did pay were left queuing in the cold. Some refunds were issued on the day, but the event’s Facebook page has now disappeared.
The Fortnite Live event logo.
Very little at the event was actually related to Fornite and absolutely none of it was officially licensed – despite the widespread use of Fortnite’s name, logo and characters.
In a statement issued to Eurogamer today, Epic said it was now taking legal action.
“The quality of our player experience is incredibly important to us, whether it’s inside the game or at official public events like last year’s Fortnite Pro-Am,” an Epic Games spokesperson said.
“Epic Games was not in any way associated with the event that took place in Norwich and we’ve issued a claim against the organisers in the High Court of London.”
Fortnite Live’s organiser, Exciting Events, had previously pledged to bring the show back to Norwich next year despite its terrible reception.
Speaking to the EDP on Sunday, organiser Shaun Lord defended the event. “This is for the kids who love the game of Fortnite,” he said.
“I would love it to be an annual thing. Those people who didn’t get value for money on activities, we have got to make that better next year. It is highlighted to us now that we didn’t have enough of that.”