Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and I, @zombiepie, am once again honored to be your host this week!
- Staff members guesting on off-site podcasts and video round-tables were a recurring theme this week. The first, featured Abby on the 45th episode of the BAD END podcast where she discusses the retirement of Reggie Fils-Aime and video game cult of personalities.
- Jeff was on a GameSpot round-table where he and other panelists discuss the PlayStation 5 system specs and rumors surrounding the upcoming console.
- People have been complaining that they are still not getting the Giant Bomb newsletter. All you need to do is follow this guide on how to sign up for the newsletterand be aware new Giant Bomb newsletters will sign up right in your inbox if you subscribe!
- For those who joined us last weekend, the Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run raised $12,576 out of its $10,000 goal! Thank you so much to those who donated and supported the event!
Tweets Of The Week
I just hit 6000 created pages on the @giantbomb wiki. Contrary to popular belief, only about 900 are EverQuest related. But, #6000 is one of the most elusive creatures in all of EQ. A name that any magician dreads.
— Brad Lynch (@MarinoV1) April 17, 2019
— Andrew Power (@scarymask) April 19, 2019
Thanks to everyone who participated in the #GBCERIX! We finished up with $12,576 raised for Pencils of Promise, which is enough money to send 167 kids to school for a year! This was the biggest GBCER yet and we couldn’t have done it without the support of the entire community!
— Gino Grieco (@ThatPinguino) April 17, 2019
Giant Bomb Galleria
Over on Twitter, Mystic_Mile created this AWESOME banner in anticipation of the long-teased and still unconfirmed GTA Online Giant Beast video series.
As seen in the banner, friend of the site, Fobwashed, made a Giant Bomb themed level in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate! Here’s their forum post with details all about it!
Best Of Blogs
After a long hiatus, Daavpuke returns to Giant Bomb and highlights their most notable efforts to improve the site’s wiki! Whether it’s Slayer Shock or Radical Heights, read all about their awesome efforts!
MajorMitch is back to blogging and this week looks at Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy’s Kong Quest and pontificates if it is as good as they remembered back in their childhood.
Mento entered the dark world of World of Final Fantasy this week, and you can read all about their initial adventures in the game! Additionally, they have another entertaining entry in their “Indie Game of the Week” series, and this time, they check out Eschalon: Book II!
Giant Bomb user basicallyolly uses the movie industry as a case study on how an industry can continue to survive and evolve creatively after the end of its glory days.
After playing The Crew 2 for a while, user shivermetimbers shares why they wish there were more video games that feature or take place during nation or continental-spanning road trips.
This week moderator Gamer_152 is talking about Mini Metro, building systems in games, and how “building games” should be regarded as a genre of their own by the industry.
Sombre uses their latest blog to share why they have been bitterly disappointed by the Nintendo Switch. Read why they feel that way, and share your own opinions about the platform in a civil and respectful manner.
Join The Discussion
As many of you engage in “Spring Cleaning” around the house, how are you handling your video game backlogs? What are your tips and tricks to paring down a backlog to be more manageable? Use the link to join our discussion!
Have any of you checked out the photo mode in Tom Clancy’s The Division 2? Do you have any interesting pictures of the bombed-out wastes of Washington D.C.? Feel free to use the link above to share your pics and show off your creative side!
A swarm of Xbox games are getting “Xbox One X Enhanced” support! Whether it’s one of the Fable or Splinter Cell games, are there any games you plan to check out? Join our discussion using the link above!
What is YOUR gut-reaction to the recently announced digital-only Xbox One? Can you imagine a consumer or scenario where the platform makes sense? Is the starting price a “deal breaker?”
Have you read up on Wired’s report on the rumored PlayStation 5 system specs? Read up on nitty-gritty details, and join our community discussion about what is being reported!
We have an interesting poll and discussion thread debating the “number one feature” the PlayStation 5 needs to have if it has any hope to be successful. “Affordable price point” and “backwards compatibility” are currently leading the poll.
Here’s a fun discussion thread on the forums! What games do you feel were treated unfairly upon release by critics or consumers? Share and discuss games you feel mainstream audiences just didn’t “get.”
Based on current reports, it sounds like things are taking a turn for the worse for HQ Trivia. What do you make of the game’s future viability now that its fifteen minutes of fame?
jeffrud has played plenty of bad games, and in response to a recent review of theirs, more on that later, they made a list of their ten least favorite video games! Here’s a taste of what you can expect!
Splitterguy went back ten years and decided to “re-rank” their 2009 GOTY list to include games they missed out on back in the day! Check out their updated list, and think about making your own!
Useful User Reviews
- @jeffrud played their fair share of Unlimited SaGa. As such, they use their latest user review to share how it’s the worst video game they have ever played.
- @yyninja‘s AKIBA’S TRIP: Undead & Undressed review articulates why the word “insufferable” best describes every minute of the game.
- @triznoy‘s review of Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 discusses how a series of small issues ruined their experience with the game.
- @pistonhyundai‘s review of Tetris 99 articulates why they consider it to be the video game version of a “spring fling” and nothing more.
For his 6000th wiki page created on Giant Bomb, moderator @marino decided to make a page for one of the most elusive, legendary creatures in all of EverQuest. This pegasus is one of the rarest of rare spawns and her name alone should strike fear in the heart of anyone who played a magician back in the day.